Bhujang = Snake
This Asana (= pose) is part of the traditional Sun Saluations.
- Strenghtens the spine
- Allows to stretch the chest, abdominals and shoulders
- Stimulates the abdominals organs
- Improves posture
- Soothes sciatica if properly performed.
- Lie down on your belly;
- Have your feet hips distance apart. Slightly rotate your feet inward;
- Top of the feet pressing down onto the floor, lifting your knees off the floor;
- Tailbone in. Thighs and pelvis pressing onto the floor;
- Hands flat on either side of your chest;
- Inhale, press against the floor with your hands and top of your feet to lift your chest up and forward;
- Relax your buttocks;
- Keep your elbows slightly bent (there is a tendancy to flare the elbows out, causing a hunching, so keep your elbows close to the sides of your body, pull your shoulders back and slide your shoulderblades down.